How to make: bread



I have been making bread for years now and because it is so quick and easy I don't even think about it as a chore. No bread machines, just two tins and my hands will turn the flour within 10 minutes or so into bread. Well not really, that is my input, after that, the bread does it all itself.


Again this is a bit of a cheat, I go to my local supermarket and buy a packet of bread mix. I tend to get the mixed grain, granary or something similar. It works out at about 50p for a packet.

I also buy a bag of strong white flour. Most bread mix packets have a lot of yeast and salt already added so I add the same amount of strong white flour, double the amount of warm water (or whey if you have some left from yogurt making) that is stated on the packet, mix it all together and knead for about 10 minutes.


I oil the two tins, divide the dought between them. Cover with a tea towel and leave them in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. Then I put them in the oven for 30 minutes at about 200C. When you take the bread out of the tins, tap them on the back, if they sound hollow they are ready otherwise return to the oven for a little longer. I make 2 large loaves for about £0.75